Samstag, 22. Juni 2013

Hungry On Two Wheels

I have been biking through Hungary the last two weeks, at times alone, at times with my friend and now it is time to settle down and state a few things I came across. So firstly in terms of cycling routes there are hardly any routes that are separated from the road, sometimes at least there is a trail just for cyclists on the road and in the cities they are usually acceptable.

there sure wasn't a thing missing: cycling along the flooded danube, speeding down a hill on a motorway next to some gigantic trucks, having to return 10 kilometers because the road just ended at a flooded part shortly before Eszergom, biking in the rain and all clothes got completely wet, fleeing from mosquitoes, wild dogs, and figuring out how to get to bike trail out of Budapest for a whole afternoon. but altogether it was amazing, I really enjoyed Hungary. afterwards everything seems just easy but well.

I was constantly looking for places to camp in the bushes next to some road. It was not as easy as I thought as most of the places I passed were fields with huge crops, villages, factories, farms. although I took the euro velo trail most of the time the infrastructure, it's evident, is not made for idiots like me moving without a car. roads are not built for the locals to live a healthy life but for the transport of goods to please economic premises.

I tried to figure out what the numerous trucks that were passing me were delivering. Most of them carried equipment for construction building, food and way too often it was living animals (often labeled with the most cynical logos) and honestly, I expect more chickens, pigs or horses on the road than actual travelers.

I was glad that it is the season for cutting the grass, so there was even a cozy ground below sometimes. when  you come across a field of freshly cut grass you can be sure it is not to be entered by the peasants until it's dried in the sun. Usually I build my tent after the sun's down and leave shortly before the sun rises so no one is bothered by it. however if one doesn't leave any garbage behind or stays like forever people hardly care.

One last thing that bugged me (besides the mosquitoes) was that between the towns along the river, if there's the flood you are basically obliged to use the motorway or even the highway. so what are people going to do that just want to walk to the next town, or crazy cyclists like me? why isn't it possible when building roads to make a path for other things than cars? because they aren't economically relevant. yet, I claim.

pun always intended,
michi

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

I would really appreciate to hear your respectful opinion so feel free to comment and criticize!